Thursday, January 8, 2009

End of an Era...

Today is a sad day for Atlanta Braves fans. Free agent pitcher, and 21-year Brave John Smoltz is set to sign a one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox.

Braves Nation is understandably upset. The fans (most of them, anyway) feel betrayed by the organization. I don't really feel betrayed, per se, but I do think that Frank Wren and the boys in the front office should have given Smoltz whatever it took to stay here. Then again, spending $5 million in guaranteed money is not the smartest baseball move for a team that is financially limited in more ways than a team like the Red Sox.

This is a tough one. I love Smoltz, but I think ultimately he chased the money and another shot at the playoffs; he chose that over sticking with the Braves (who, by the way, did offer a contract that was fair, but not what he was looking for). I'm torn here.

I do hope he does well for the Sox. And I hope he beats the Yankees every chance he gets. I also hope that our Braves can still make some moves and fill some holes. Sign Derek Lowe, and sign Adam Dunn or Bobby Abreu (or even Manny Ramirez). And bust our butts trying to get back to October.

Here's a quick mock-up of what John Smoltz might look like in late September:


Godspeed, Bearded Icon.

~E~

2 comments:

Ken said...

Article in the AJC with Chipper Jones, Chipper said he was upset and so was Smoltz. Both were unhappy with the way Braves management handled the situation.

BigEasy said...

Yeah, I read that. I think, bottom line, he should still be a Brave. But if he already had said he would take less to stay (and he had said that), why didn't he stay?

Seemed like both parties were at fault on this one.

~E~