Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spring is in the air....


Ahhh...baseball is here again! That's right, Spring Training has started, and that means that we will have real games real soon! I love baseball. It is a great game. Some people think it is boring, but I don't understand how. Baseball is like chess, only with 90 mph fastballs thrown in for color.

Of course, most of you know, I'm a Braves fan. Now, the last few years have been a bit disappointing for the Bravos. We haven't made the post season for three years now, and last season was about two-steps short of a full-on disaster. But this year is gonna be different.

The Braves have a revamped rotation that stacks up favorably with everyone else in our division (better than some). The rotation projects to be Derek Lowe, Jair Jurrjens, Javier Vazquez, Kenshin Kawakami, and Tom Glavine. Glavine, who is currently a free agent, is expected to sign with the Braves at any time. According to David O'Brien, the Braves beat writer, it is a matter of crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

Now, the exciting news for me. According to the AJC, Ken Griffey Jr is going to be a Brave. I know that he is past his prime, and I know that he isn't "The Kid" anymore, but, I have always liked Junior Griffey, and have always wanted him to be a Brave.

If this works out, we would have two guys with over 1000 combined HR on the field at the same time (Chipper has 408, Griffey has 611). I am just crazy excited to see Junior on the field as a Brave.


I saw this picture the other day, and figured I would post it here. It is from 1987. That is Ken Griffey Jr standing with his father in the Braves dugout. Interestingly enough, as a rookie, Tom Glavine's left fielder was Ken Griffey Sr. He could make his first start of 2009 with Ken Griffey Jr as his left fielder. What a way to bookend a career!

~E~

2 comments:

Ken said...

AJC now reports Griffey backed out on Braves to go back to Seattle.

BigEasy said...

I know...